Tuesday 16 December 2008

Magazine Logos - Research and Planning

The next step to creating my own magazine was thinking of a name for it. Surprisingly, this came to me quite quickly. I began thinking of words or phrases that linked to raves and a few came to mind such as;
  • Glow - As in glowsticks or the lights you see at raves. This is something i thought that a raver could relate to and if they seen it they would immediately know what the magazine will entail. I could of maybe shortened it to 'Glo' to put a modern and quirky twist onto it. I didn't think it was a very exciting name and could be sound like a name for a womens magazine as people use the word 'glowing' to compliment someones appearance and I want the name of my magazine to be specific and unable to be confused with another possible genre.
  • Techno - which is a type of music played at a rave that has no words and a strong bassline. obviously again people into this genre would relate to it and i could also misspell the word to make 'Tekno' or 'Teckno' to put my own spin on it. Yet again i can think of something people could become confused about if all they heard was the name. They might assume its a magazine about Technology or gadgets which would decrease the amount of people that would be interested in my magazine - if it were a real one.
  • DJ - yet again something to do with a rave. DJs mix the music and would be a recognizable symbol for ravers. I also thought i could use a similar to idea to a previous magazine i researched with a similar name called 'i-D' magazine and i could of styled mine on that idea e.g 'd-J' magazine but it doesnt really look as effective and would just be copying another magazines ideas. But then again once i thought about it you can get DJs at many events not just raves - e.g. Weddings, on the radio, in clubs playing all sorts of music. So this wouldn't be a very specific name for my genre.
  • Strobe - this is my final idea and probably my favourite. I cant think of any other event that uses strobe lights therefore people will automatically think of rave when they hear the title of my magazine. The word itself sounds good and I think it will be easy to work with when creating the logo.
So i decided that the name I'd stick with is 'Strobe' as I think its the idea out of them all that will be least confused with being from any other genre of magazine. But before i jump right in and go and design one from out of nowhere, I wanted to mainly focus on logos from the genre in which my magazine falls into so that i get a stronger idea of what i should be including in my own design.









Looking at these examples i can gather that designers from my genre of magazine generally use simplistic yet effective designs. Some of them use simple fonts but make it more interesting by incorperating using both capitals and lowercase letters in 'i-D' magazine and the hyphen just adds a bit more charecter and individuality rather than having a plain two letters together. I also like the way 'pop' magazines logo works. It looks like a 3D shape thats been twisted into the shape of the letters and the highlights work to make it look more realistic as there would be light hitting the sides if it were in real life. Stream magazine uses an effective warm colour scheme and i like the way the colours gradually blend into eachother and work together to look professional. Also the quality of the image and the font make it look well made and like there has been work behind making a good logo with a programme such as photoshop that is largely used in the real magazine making industry.

No comments: